Tuesday, August 17, 2010

For all Content and Purpose

I have decided to invest time and effort in my process of becoming a better writer by blogging once a week. Although my number of followers is modest at best I still feel I owe it to them and any others passing by to get down on this visible medium, if only mildly interesting, at the very least a consistent blog. You see I am coming to terms with the fact that I am a dreamer and although all of my dreams may not come true I will still actively pursue them. Even if it means making sacrifices to do so. Like living paycheck to paycheck, or raising my children for part of their lives in a country where the language spoken is not our own. I am willing to take big risks with the hopes of big rewards. Making the decision to follow my dreams is as serious and concrete as deciding to have a second child. Because more than the fear of failure is the fear of the sadness I know would follow me all of my days if I simply don't try and follow my heart. Since being a writer is up there on the list (alongside world travel and changing the world) then in the position I am I can do no more justice to that desire in me than to write weekly for this newly endeared blog of mine. Hate not small beginnings, the bible says. This is just the start.

I have one of the most self motivated, productive and uncontested most impressive friends who has lived a total of about a thousand lives by the age of 23; whom is constantly telling me in more eloquent words that her secret to success is having a plan of action. She is an expert at living the dream. She has taken risks and gone out on all sorts of flimsy limbs to soothe that inner voice in her heart. She is the first person in my life to have shared the experience of that fire that burns in the core of you when you are really passionate about doing something. She knows how to really live life. A talent I suspect she has had since she was very, very young. Always the president of this or that club, activist in the making since the age of 12, She is one of my Heroes. So of course this blog in particular is a salute to her. And her audacious and intimidating levels of achievement.



I am figuratively stepping out into an unknown plane of creativity and I can only ask for advice and guidance from any and everyone who has ever been in my shoes. Like the title says, I will be writing for Content and Purpose. In my attempts to have a blog I can proud to post I think writing (at least) once a week will help me choose the things worth sharing and leave out all the riff raff. Hopefully. The tricky thing about wanting to be a writer is that you can sort of write about anything. In the Artist's Way by Julia Cameron she encourages all of her students of her workshop to write morning pages every day. Three pages of whatever comes to you. Because she knows, that when channeling your inner artist you have to clear the static. So I will use that practice in between posts, to hopefully try and eliminate ramblings... Kind of like this one.

According to Christian author, Philip Yancey, sometimes feedback as negative as it may be is a must for you as a writer. I want to hone my craft so that it is as natural as breathing. I don't care if I am told that I am cheesy, hopeless and have too many run on sentences. I probably am and I know I do. I have never been able to cut my word use down like an economist might cut down their spending. It takes me too long. Almost as long as choosing what to eat at a restaurant; I simply cannot deal with all of the options. So,bring it on people. Bring it on. I promise to bring nothing but my most honest and sincerest experiences to the table in return.

2 comments:

  1. I am sitting here at my office in tears, that is too sweet of you! You know that the feeling is mutual as I see you as an awesome person and on top of that a great mom! I can't wait until I have my own children and get to call on Fabia for advice.

    Looking forward to your every word,

    Your faithful follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogs like these Miss are the one's that truly inspire me to follow that long forgotten dream. I find motivation in your words. I value your faithfulness to your dreams no matter how big or beyond reach.
    I feel more apt to rising my arm to grasp my dreams.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete